Podcast: Play in new window | Download (47.8MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
WordPress is one of the most powerful and easiest ways to build a website…and it is FREE!
This Podcast will show you How to Use WordPress for your Websites!
In this episode we discuss:
1. What is WordPress
A CMS (content management system) you can install on your own site.
It now sits somewhere in between a full CMS and a blogging platform.
2. Pros of using WordPress:
It is open-source which means:
- it is easy to find support to update it, fix it, etc. You can hire anyone anywhere instead of someone who is an expert in a particular CMS.
- It has thousands of developers world wide working on it to make it better.
Notable brands using wordpress:
- New York Times
- Sony and many more…
15% of the world are using WordPress
It is very easy to update – just like using Word.
It has thousands of plugins – some free and some not – which means you can customise your site to whatever you want it to be for you and do things like:
- add shopping carts
- sync with your social media
- syndicate your blog posts to other sites for back-links and SEO
- analyse your posts as you go to see if you are SEO optimised
- protect your site with lock-out features and spam bot blocking
It can easily integrate with many other systems – shopping carts, email marketing, affiliate programs, etc.
And it is FREE! so after the set up it means that there is no ongoing cost.
3. What do you need to set up a WordPress site?
- Using wordpress v. your own domain and hosting
- What is a theme and where to get them?
4. What are the basic settings to consider?
- Change your Permalinks so they are friendly to users
- Set your Privacy Settings to Public
- Set up your site’s title
- Add in the admin email
5. What are widgets and what should you use?
- Facebook like box
- Social media follow buttons
- Opt-in form to build a list
6. What are plugins and which ones do you need?
– WordPress SEO (otherwise known as Yoast)
– Twitter Facebook Social Share
– Facebook Comments for WordPress
– Disqus Comment System
– Google Analytics for WordPress
– Login LockDown
– WordPress Firewall 2
Note: You can find the links to these plugins on our Resource Page.
7. Where can you list your site to promote it?
8. Where can you go to get help with any of the above?