Hi everyone! Today we’re talking about copywriting tips and tricks – it’s a skill that can make all the difference for your business, whether you do it yourself or hire someone else to do it. We’ve actually just interviewed an award-winning copywriter, Dean Edelson on Make It Simple TV so make sure you check it out!
What did Andrew and Heather learn this week? Andrew has finally heard the news: Facebook are rolling out the search option of finding people’s keywords in posts. This means that it gives you more data than previous searches where you could only find by pages and likes. Heather learnt about the release of WordPress 4.0. What does this mean? 4.0 is a big, manual update so if you have a WordPress site you need to actually opt to update. It has features like media being easier to use and plugins being clearer, amongst loads of other things! (Kitchen sink following you down your blog post so you don’t have to keep scrolling up for formatting tools!).
Copywriting Tips and Tricks
What do you need copywriting for?
There are different ways of using it but the end goal is always to get people to take some kind of action with you. Use copywriting on:
- Sales funnels (where your leads come in)
- Sales pages (where you sell one product or service)
- Video scripts
- Landing pages
- … and more!
Books we love for inspiration
The Robert Collier Letter Book Words That Sell – Richard Bayan More Words That Sell – Richard Bayan The Tools and Techniques For Profitable Persuasion – Roy H. Williams Power Words (pamphlet) – John Carlton Ads by David Ogilvey (find online) Perry Belcher (find online) Frank Kern (find online)
Tips for your website
- Make it about your visitor – what’s in it for them and how will you help them? Use ‘you’ and ‘your’ rather than ‘I’, ‘me’ or ‘my’.
- Don’t be too wordy! Get to the point – people don’t have a lot of time and they want to know your point quickly.
- These are your most highly trafficked pages as revealed by your analytics – you need to then look at how to go back in and write copy to convert visitors.
- Sales pages are also money pages. They sell one product or service at a time. Do demos, talk about the benefits and bring in testimonials to prove why people should buy.
- Provide valuable content in your funnel.
- Keep emails short and sweet.
- Make sure everything you give away in your funnel positions you strategically for the end goal.
- Keep landing pages short and sweet too. Include headline and maybe a few bullet points (although one-sentence pages have worked really well too, if it’s a compelling sentence!)
Product creation (digital)
- A good way to get your copy for modules or membership sites is to plan some bullet points and talk around them – give to someone else to transcribe.
- Use on sales pages to complement text.
- Use video sales letters.
- Use on landing pages.
- Plan out, is it you talking directly to the camera or will you use animated videos or slides?
- You could use bullet points to prompt yourself, or use a teleprompter with everything you want to say. A key tip if you use teleprompter is to write it up and word, but leave lots of spaces.
- Funnel emails – automated and written in advance
- Broadcast emails – fresh content such as newsletters
- Always have a goal to get people to do something with your emails – keep them to the point but not overly hyped or having no relation to the email you are sending.
- It’s all about pre-qualifying from the beginning. Let people know right at the start exactly who your webinar will be perfect for.
- Make people aware of the problem you are discussing and use statistics to back it up.
- Teach people from the big picture – make them aware of why they need each point to solve the problem.
- Call to action at the end.
Do you feel overwhelmed when facing all of the many different parts of online marketing? Could you use help with scripts, templates or just having someone to answer your questions? We have a solution for you! Check out our Digital Traffic Institute and join the crew there for practical tips and hacks to get the traffic to your website…