Hey everybody! Welcome to podcast #62! Today we’re talking about that saying ‘what gets measured gets done’ – this is so true in business and in life! We’ve been doing a lot on that lately in our own business and those of our clients.
What did Andrew and Heather learn this week?
Andrew learnt through the testing of a new product this week, where he and Heather decided to put an upsell at the end of a $7 product. They found that there really is a big uptake in the upsell – if you’re not doing it you’re leaving money on the table!
Heather has seen a lot on the news lately about children being preyed upon online, which got her to thinking about how kids can be protected when using the internet. She found a search tool called Duck, Duck, Go which doesn’t place cookies on the computer. This tool is great for people concerned with their privacy and for those with kids who need to do online research for school.
What gets measured gets done
The old saying is true! If you want to improve your results, you need to measure the right things in the first place so that you can take action (for our podcast series on what to measure and how, click here).
What can you be looking at?
- Monitor stats such as how many delivered, how many were opened and how many opt-outs you got.
- Open rates of 25% + are really good, often with industries such as finance, around 20% is normal, while non-profits and the arts tend to get 30%+.
- Look at list growth – is your email list growing or shrinking over time?
- ROI for your emails – how many people take the action you want from your emails?
- Social media platforms – check out your analytics for each and know what is important. E.g. for Facebook it is more about engagement than number of likes – how many comments and shares are you getting?
- Track things such as where people drop off on your YouTube videos so you can check that part of the video and work out why.
- For your website, check out the overview in Google Analytics – notice trends such as if there are certain days where you have more traffic.
- Check which pages are the most popular and where the traffic is coming from to get there.
- Check which keywords are getting people there (some of these are currently still being shown, although possibly not for much longer).
- Bounce rate – do people look around or just leave?
- Do you track what happens next with people who take action with you? E.g. someone on your team might follow up personally etc.
- What’s the lifetime value of your customer?
- Be aware of what your affiliates or partners are doing.
Hi to everyone in the 72 countries who are now listening to us! We’d love to hear from you in a review on iTunes… Got any questions or comments for us here? Please add in the comments below!