What have Andrew McCauley & Heather Porter learnt lately?
We’ve talked about the importance of optimizing your website for mobile before, but now, since Google updated their algorithm in mid-April, many non-optimized websites have seen a drop off in traffic. This is because there are so many searches done on mobile now and Google is putting websites that are mobile-friendly first in those searches.
Heather has had a theme of e-learning going on. Lynda.com was sold to LinkedIn for $1 billion! There is a huge overhaul going on with how we learn online. It’s all about the bite-sized chunks now for quicker consumption. Smart move by LinkedIn – they’ll be able to suggest Lynda courses to their users based on interests and careers…
What is a website funnel?
A website funnel is about taking people who sign up with you on a journey through different content, until ultimately they convert or purchase with you. What’s now happening with funnels is that there is a shift toward segmenting and creating different funnels based on the interests of the person who signs up.
Tips for effective funnels:
- Don’t just blanket email-blast everyone with everything you have on offer!
- Be mindful of where the customer is on their journey with you. For example you wouldn’t send a whole lot of product-related information to someone who is new.
- Develop your customer avatars and create content directed at those.
- You can easily have multiple funnels for different stages of the customer journey.
- What is the customer’s stage of awareness? For example, don’t know they have a problem, aware they have a problem but don’t know what to do about it, aware of solutions to their problem but looking to choose the right one…
Tools you can use:
Some marketers out there have been saying “funnels are dead”, but what they really mean is that the old way of doing it with a single funnel pushing all your leads through is not the way to do it. Segmentation and getting very targeted is the key. People are looking for a more personalised experience that is relevant to them.
Keep in mind that if you want to put your funnel together yourself and you are a beginner, it may be a steep learning curve. There are a lot of moving parts to putting an effective funnel together.
Keep an eye out for our live events coming up in Melbourne, Sydney and Los Angeles! We’ll go through funnels and case studies, and help you out with tips for yours…